So here it is, the
1. Our software comes with an installer program.
Yes, the Plone Universal installer.
2. Installing or uninstalling our software does not require a reboot of your machine.
Yes. Moreover the software is platform independent.
3. You can choose your locale and language at install time, and never have to see English again after that.
No. Installation is in english only (although the CMS user interface is available in about 50 languages).
4. Eval versions of the latest edition(s) of our software are always available for download from the company website.
Yes. As a full open source product the entire latest version is always available (also unreleased and in-development versions are).
5. Our WCM software comes with a fully templated “sample web site” and sample workflows, which work out-of-the-box.
Yes. Plone comes with one sample web site and four different sample workflows out-of-the-box
6. We ship a tutorial.
Yes. Tutorials are always available on Plone.org
7. You can raise a support issue via a button, link, or menu command in our administrative interface.
No. Not there, yet. Open Source Community support can be obtained for free, Professional support depends on the Plone Provider selected.
8. All help files and documentation for the product are laid down as part of the install.
We don’t ship end-user documentation as part of the install. But all the documentation is available online and there are several end-user, integrator and developer books.
9. We run our entire company website using the latest version of our own WCM products.
10. Our salespeople understand how our products work.
Yes, they usually do. And many of them are developers of the core software itself and in general they are fans of the product.
11. Our software does what we say it does.
Yes it does. It also sometimes does something no one has advertised, unfortunately. Being Open Source, you can also independently verify it does exactly what it claims.
12. We don’t charge extra for our SDK.
Yes. We don’t charge.
13. Our licensing model is simple enough for a 5-year-old to understand.
Yes. Not sure everybody really understand how free software works. But they should and my 5 year old son at least knows that I do a real job.
14. We have one price sheet for all customers.
Everything is free but the customization, support or hosting services. Plone has about 300 integrators / providers worldwide.
15. Our top executives are on Skype, Twitter, or some similar channel, and: Feel free to contact them directly at any time.
Yes they are. The whole community is there.
To the Plone Community: Did I forgot something? Please comment.
Long live to my favourite Web CMS.